Friday, May 8, 2009

Italian Margarita

It is hot and humid out there! Nothing better to fight off the weather than with a nice cold margarita. I really enjoy any type of margarita. In fact, I am pretty sure I haven't meet a margarita I didn't like - swirl, traditional, watermelon, mango. But, when I am making them at home I prefer to have a sweet flavor instead of the tart taste of a traditional lime and tequila margarita. This is called an Italian Margarita because of the addition of the amaretto and the use of lemon instead of lime.

Ingredients:

Lemons - to garnish

Sugar - to garnish

3 shots tequila

1 shot triple sec

heaping 1/4 c. frozen lemonade concentrate

3 c. crushed ice

1 shot amaretto

First, cut the lemon. I know you can get lemons for like 5 for a dollar but, to get the most use out of your lemon, start by cutting it in half. Cut one half into slices. Cut the other half into wedges.

Next, we are going to rim the glass with sugar. Begin by wetting the rim of the glass with the lemon wedge. Then invert the glass into a dish - ahem, salad plate - filled with sugar.

And there you go! Sugar on the rim of your glass. Salt could also be a great substitute to rim the glass with, but I have a major sugar tooth so I am sticking with sugar!
By the way, isn't that a great glass! My sister, baby maker turned baby doctor, gave me a set of these glasses as a birthday present on my 21st birthday. Wasn't that such a thoughtful gift? I love them!
Now its time to get serious. Combine the crushed ice and tequila in the blender.
Everyone, well at least everyone in Texas, knows that Tequila is made from the agave plant, which is a succulent. But, did you know that mezcal is also made from the agave plant? I saw this as a question on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and didn't know the answer.
Tequila, as well as mezcal, doesn't need to age. The alcohol is fermented from the agave heart that is rich in the sugar inulin. Humans do not have an enzyme for inulin so it cannot be digested. Because of this, the heart of the agave plant must be cooked down for several hours in order to break the inulin sugar down into fructose. After cooking the mixture is fermented and then goes through the distillation process.
Add the triple sec - this is a sweet margarita, remember?
Also add one heaping 1/4c of frozen lemonade concentrate.

Puree in the blender until nice and slushy. It will be a mixture somewhere between and frozen and on the rocks margarita.
Pour the mixture into a glass and pour the shot of amaretto over the top. My glasses are on the smaller side so I had enough of the mixture to pour into two glasses. I didn't split the shot of amaretto.
Garnish with a lemon slice and serve! This drink is really nice, sweet and refreshing. It works great to battle the heat and humidity, to serve along side a Mexican dish, or to share with your husband after a long week at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment